Past time for an update. After the transplant Josh felt so happy it was like the weight of the world was lifted off his shoulders. Other than a little soreness in his leg he didn’t have any problems. He got right back home and back to playing.
Stephen felt great for several days. His blood counts didn’t hit bottom until a few days ago. He has been receiving blood and platelets as needed to keep his counts high enough. Last Thursday he started to feel some mouth and throat sores coming on. It is called mucositis and it is an ugly, mean thing. He started on pain meds but by late Friday night he was in lots of pain and couldn’t swallow anything. They have him on a pain pump and he uses a suction tube to remove saliva from his mouth. We had a scary night Friday. He felt like his throat was closing off. He was a little better Saturday and Sunday but had another really hard time Sunday night. He is receiving IV Nutrition and all medicines are IV now. The swelling in his throat was really bad this morning and they considered moving him to ICU but we have avoided that so far. He was scheduled for one more chemotherapy this morning but they cancelled that. The chemo therapy postpones the engraftment which decreases your chances of getting graft verses host disease. The doctors decided that it was too risky to give him more chemo for fear of his airway closing off and they are going to go ahead and let the engraftment proceed. We’ve been taking turns sitting with him at the hospital making sure his breathing and pain are controlled. Just a rough spot that we hopefully we be through soon. Thanks for all the inquiries and especially thanks for all your prayers.